Friday, May 14, 2010

IEPs, Tantrums, Parental Visits, Morels, Dump Trucks, Dance Recitals, and finally some sunshine

Advocating for Claudia during her IEP meeting this morning, was a challenge. Most challenges I expect and can plan for with Claudia. Almost every year she gets a new team of people to work with, and we have different physical structures to work around. We attempt to handle these challenges with her IEP, in a neat report. It looks good on paper.
But the paper doesn't tell you when how much time Claudia SHOULD spend outside of her classroom doing specials and how many accommodations SHOULD be allowed. How do we allow Claudia to feel like every other classmate but ensure she is getting the education that she needs. It doesn't answer how to deal with professionals that we feel are more harmful than helpful. Big blanks on how to manage a twin sister who is jealous of the "specials" that Claudia needs... not wants but needs. The beginning of this parenting journey wasn't easy either but this is at a whole new level.
To top off the morning, I was asked to leave school because Eloise was pouting about Claudia having her "special" scooter there. Apparently Moms have "heartstrings" that can be pulled. Who knew? So apart they will be for another year to strengthen their own identities.
On we will proceed with a busy weekend. We have both sets of grandparents coming for the dance recital. Papa John will be hunting morels. Vincent is going to be on cloud nine with the Transportation Fair. Think big: school bus, dump truck, cement mixer, snow plow, fire truck. Need I say more? The boy loves vehicles. Julianne humors him.

I'm back to helping sound out short vowel sounds.

1 comment:

Blessing Counter said...

Ah, sweet friend, you are not alone. Just reading the letters IEP makes me tear up. Even the "good" ones wear exhausting and draining and I was never sure I had made my point....I'm here. If you need me.

Blog Archive